Wednesday, May 12, 2021

NXT 5-11-2021

             I am a cradle WWE fan. Watching last night's NXT had me not only thinking of former wrestlers but considering personal dream matches and storylines.

            Karrion Kross and Austin Theory kicked off NXT in a non-title match. Karrion debuted a new look last month at NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver. The new gladiator look works for him and he reminds me of the Barbarian. Seeing him in a bout with Austin Theory wasn't enjoyable. He is a gnat compared to Kross. In two weeks, we'll see Kross go up against Finn for the NXT title. I predict the title will stay where it is for now. I think that the champ has another 3 to 6 months before he will be ready to move up to the main roster. The superstar draft of 2021 would be the ideal time for him to embrace a new chapter in his career. Possible opponents for Kross to make his mark would be Damien Priest, Braun Strowman, Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, Jinder Mahal, Randy Orton or Roman Reigns. I think there is a better storyline for Finn to be involved in so let's explore that next.

            Finn and Kross has been an enjoyable intense feud but it has run its course. The most obvious match-up would be Finn vs. Adam Cole. During NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day, Cole super kicked Balor followed by the March 10 episode of NXT when Cole was defeated as a result of a distraction by O'Reily. This feud is not over but has been put on the back burner. Adam Cole will be back and his first target should be Finn Balor. 



            Before I get to the women's division, I want to briefly touch on Swerve's return.

            It's been 3 months since we've seen Isaiah "Swerve" Scott. Now he is back with a new attitude and a posse called Hit Row. AJ Francis, Ashante "Thee" Adondis and Briana Brandy make up Swerve's stable. Having a posse is a decent way to bring back Scott but I hope they disband soon. 


            I can easily see AJ Francis going up against Bronson Reed when he's done with Gargano. 

            Ashante "Thee" Adonis could turn on Scott putting them in a respectable rivalry. 

            Briana Brandy would be the perfect opponent for Raquel Gonzalez.

            Raquel Gonzalez is the current NXT Women's Champion. I'm personally not buying, and therefore, not enjoying the matches between her and Mercedes Martinez. They're not fluid. Their rhythm is out of sync. Mercedes could use some more training. She's still lacking some confidence and character believability. 

            Raquel, on the other hand, is ready for a better rival. Briana Brandy could be that opponent. Raquel reminds me of Chyna. There are currently no female competitors in NXT that I can think of that would be a threat to the title reign of Gonzalez. Rooting for you Briana.

            Finally, last night's main event saw a rematch between Santos Escobar and Kushida. It was a two out of three falls match for the Cruiserweight title. I am team Kushida all the way. Kushida retained his title and I would like to see him move up to the main roster and team up with Rey Mysterio. This is plausible because I think after Rey and Dominik win the tag team title belts at this Sunday's WrestleMania Backlash, the younger Mysterio will be ready to fly solo after a respectable reign with his dad. Hopefully Dom's first solo match will be against Humberto Carrillo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Letter to Jeff Hardy

               Endings are better than beginnings.               I grew up in a very dysfunctional household. My father is a gambler and my ...