Saturday, June 12, 2021

Friday Night SmackDown June 11, 2021

            Roman Reigns has family problems. Problems with his own family and the Mysterio family. The show started with Jimmy Uso in the ring calling out Roman for being jealous and promising that he was going to do something. At the end of the show, Rey Mysterio calls Roman to the ring. After Rey makes his point as a father very clear, he attacks Roman with a kendo stick. Rey went to town. Shortly after a superman punch, Dominik makes his way to the ring and continues the assault on Roman. Then Roman gains the upper hand and throws Dominik out of the ring like a bag of trash. Many have Roman's name in their mouth and I am interested to see how the big dog gets humbled. 

            A lot is changing in the WWE. From releases to storylines and new looks. Some have been smart moves and improved looks while others have been epic fails. One look that I believe severely missed the mark can be seen on Otis. Clean shaven and a ponytail. No Bueno. I couldn't tell if he reminded me of Vader without the mask or a make-up free Adrian Adonis. I greatly miss the Otis of old when he was paired with Tucker. They were the polar opposite of Too Cool and the formula worked.


 

            It was during a match between Montez Ford and Chad Gable that we see Otis ambush and destroy Dawkins backstage before making his way to the ring. He then goes after Montez Ford resulting in serious injuries. According to WWE, Ford suffered a partial rib fracture and torn intercostal cartilage. Keep Tez in your prayers.

            I grew up in the 80s and I remember a lot of WWEs classic segments. One of the classic segments that I miss and which has never come close to being duplicated was Piper's Pit. Hot Rod could talk and entertain. One of the current "talk show" features is Bailey's Ding Dong, Hello!. I'm not a fan but I am so glad that I watched last night. Seth Rollins was the guest in his least offensive outfit yet. But the best part was the surprise guest. Ding Dong! It's Cesaro! He literally rips the pants off of Seth, destroys the set and javelins an artificial tree in Seth's direction as he scurries away in his undies. It was awesome!


            I said at the beginning that a lot was changing in the WWE. One of the more exciting changes for me is the storyline between Shinsuke Nakamura and Baron Corbin. Yeah, I said Baron Corbin and not King Corbin. It is time to crown a new king. Shin would be a fun sovereign for the common people. And let's not forget about his 80s hair band hype man, Rick Boogs. I love the combination but my preference would have been for creative to keep the name Average Joe - from the Old Spice commercials featured in earlier PPVs this year. What I am equally eager to see after Shin becomes King Shinsuke is Boogs against Corbin. 

            A superstar that we're going to see in action next week is Commander Azeez. I personally wish they would have called him either Babatunde or Dabba-Kato but I understand what the company is doing. We haven't seen Azeez in action since his Raw Underground days. No matter what he's called, Azeez gets his character over and he is impressive to watch. Next week, it will be Kevin Owens and Big E squaring up against Apollo Crews and Commander Azeez. If only WWE had kept Braun Strowman. Braun versus Azeez in singles competition would have been something to see. I highly recommend rewatching 2018 Greatest Royal Rumble. Azeez, then known as Babatunde was entrant number 37 only to be eliminated shortly thereafter by Braun.  #BringBackBraun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Letter to Jeff Hardy

               Endings are better than beginnings.               I grew up in a very dysfunctional household. My father is a gambler and my ...